Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Checking Cows

It is that time of year again, and I am not just talking about spring, but the other thing that comes with spring, no not just the green grass, and the birds, and the sun, although it is nice to have all of that back. I am talking about calving season, the time where my dad gets up about 4 times during the night to check the cows, in fact just yesterday he had 18 calves, yep I think it is safe to say that calving is definitely here. Well since my dad stays up all night to check the cows, someone else usually takes the shifts before dark. So I decide to take my turn and go and check the cows, well I am all calm until about the minute I get to the gate, even though I have grown up around cows my whole life, I get scared when I have to go check the cows, not just because they are about 10 times my size and could kill me if they think I am a threat...well actually that is way they scare me! First of all before you laugh to hard, we have the Heifers at our house, those are the cows that have never calved before, so they are a little nervous to begin with, oh and that thing about how they can sense fear, it's true. So most people just go out and walk through the cows and it is no big deal, I on the other hand, walk all the way around the fence, climb up a snow bank and observes the cows from a distance. I do actually go into the fence, I just scurry from the chopped hay wagon, to the water fountain, to the hay ring, stopping by my favorite rock and anything else that provides shelter, then back to the snow bank that I entered on. And that is how I check cows, the worse part about it is every time I go out I tell myself that I am not going to be afraid but every time I do the same thing!

Well just to verify my fears, I am pretty sure this is cow that wanted to kill me!

Close by mommas side
Due to the fact the I don' t really get all that close to the cows the picture is a little blurry. But you can clearly see the whole motherly protective instinct going on, I was on top of a broken down feed ring and she was still starring me down!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how you check cows! I can sympathize with you. When I was about 10, a momma cow charged me. Yikes! I have been scared of cows that are calving ever since!

Goldfish said...

You are so funny Kris! :) I love how you described how you check cows! :D We just started calving. We had one calf on Sunday. Oh, I love how you switched from prom to calving! :D

Anonymous said...

Haha, that was funny. I love cows and I guess I must never be scared near them because they don't try to charge me...? You are lucky to be living on a farm with them! I'd love to take over your job!! *grin*